There are many architectural, historical and cultural monuments in Valmiera. The main witness of Valmiera destiny is St. Simon’s Church, built in 1285. There is an altarpiece “The Temptation of Christ” by K.Fogešteins and the pipe organ made by F.Ladegasts, a significant organ master in Europe.
Livonian castle ruins and the remains of the Middle Age fortification system near the Gauja give evidence of the town centre of the 13th century. The fortification was destroyed during the Northern War.
The buildings of 18 – 19th century in the city centre were destroyed in September 1944 when about 30% of all the Valmiera buildings were burned down. That’s why nowadays there are only some of the 18th century buildings in Valmiera – the Old Pharmacy, Valter’s House and others.
Town Hall Square - medieval market square surrounded by the buildings of St Simon`s Church, municipality and theatre. Valmiera State Grammar School was built in 1903, esigned by architect A. Kiezelbasch. Once in the middle of this architecturally beautiful building was a cupola characteristic of a church, but the layout of building blocks reminds the letter E. By year 1917 Valmiera Teacher`s Seminary woked there. Valmiera Viestura Secondary School (Viestura Primary School until 1939) and Valmiera Secondary School No 5 (Valmiera School of Commerce until 1940) were designed by the architect A. Cuibe. Cinema "Gaisma" was built in 1951. The building is an example af Stalinist architecture whose decoration features a combination of Latvian ethnographic motifs and Soviet symbols. Craftsmen`s Maisonette - the home of architect G. Lenāns, built in the 1930s of the last century, is a rare example of Art Deco architecture in Latvia. The Narrow -gauge Railway Bridge has remained from the railway line Smiltene-Valmiera-Ainaži. The building of SEB Bank as built in 1932 as the Valmiera Branch of State Land Bank. The new building of Swedbank has been recognized as the year 2008 seond best newly erected building in Latvia.